Friday 14 October 2011

Book Review: BABY BE MINE BY PAIGE TOON

Genre:  Contemporary Fiction
Published:  Simon & Schuster  (July 2011)
Pages:  439  (Paperback)
Source:  Publishers
My Rating:  9/10

About the Book:

'He's not mine, is he?' That's the question I fear the most. You see, I have a secret. My son is not fathered by my boyfriend, but by one of the most famous rock stars that ever lived. And he doesn't even know it. 
One-time celebrity personal assistant to wild boy of rock Johnny Jefferson, Meg Stiles is now settled and living in the south of France with her doting boyfriend Christian and their son Barney. 
But they're living a lie - a lie that will turn their lives upside down and inside out - because as Barney reaches his first birthday, Meg can no longer deny that her son is growing to look more and more like his rock star father every day, and less and less like Christian, and sooner or later, the world is going to realise ...

This is the follow-up to Johnny Be Good which was published in 2008 so it's been a long anxious wait to find out what happened to Meg and Johnny.  I haven't read that book but I wish I had -- I don't think I needed to read it but, after finishing this, I wanted to read it, if only to know more about their relationship before this sequel.

I loved the writing style, it was not over-dramatic or soppy, it had just the right amount of tenderness and fun and sadness all wrapped up in the story.  

At the beginning of the story Meg was full of guilt and lived in constant fear of everyone (particularly the lovely and patient Christian) finding out, but when Johnny finds out early on that he is Barney's father he reacts in a totally different way to what everyone expects from a man 'with the attention span of a gnat'.

'Okay,' I say, because I don't want to hurt him (Christian) anymore.  But this is going to be complicated.  Johnny is aware of Barney's existence now.  I can't imagine how this is going to pan out, but there's one thing I'm certain of: there's more hearbreak to come.

Meg's roller coaster of emotions really moved me as she tried to come to terms with her guilt over Christian, her feelings about Johnny, and above all her love for her little boy which really shone through and was incredibly touching at times.  

While I didn't laugh or cry (as the blurb suggested) there were some funny moments and I did feel for Meg, I really wanted her to be happy and I was never sure how it was going to go, it kept me on tenterhooks until the very end.


I thought this was an engrossing story, great storyline, interesting characters, that will keep you reading because you just want to find out what happens!  And you can't ask for anything more in a book can you?

Special Thank You to the publishers for sending me this book to review.

Paige Toon's author page on Simon & Schuster is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...