Friday 26 March 2010

Book Review: HECTOR AND THE SEARCH FOR HAPPINESS BY FRANCOIS LELORD


Genre: Fiction


Publisher: Gallic Books (Apr 2010)

Pages: 165 (Paperback)

My Rating: 8.5/10












HECTOR AND THE SEARCH FOR HAPPINESS BY FRANCOIS LELORD

About the Book:

Can we learn how to be happy?

Hector is a successful young psychiatrist. He's very good at treating patients in real need of his help. But many people he sees have no health problems: they're just deeply dissatisfied with their lives. Hector can't do much for them, and it's beginning to depress him.

So when a patient tells him he looks in need of a holiday, Hector decides to set off round the world to find out what makes people everywhere happy (and sad), and whether there is such a thing as the secret of true happiness...


My Thoughts:

This took me quite a while to get used to the child-like style of writing, and at first I wasn't sure if it was meant for adults or children, but once I'd got further into Hector's story I really, really enjoyed it.

As he travelled round the world from China to the country of MORE (we never actually know the name but would presume it's the USA!) he met many people and as he got to know them and talked to them, he compiled a list of the things that he thought made people happy. I won't list them all here as there's over 20 but I will mention a few :-

Lesson No. 2: Happiness often comes when least expected.

Lesson No. 6: Happiness is a long walk in beautiful, unfamiliar mountains.

Lesson No. 8: Happiness is being with the people you love.

Lesson No. 13: Happiness is feeling useful to others.

This is a lovely simple story told in a way that makes you think about what makes YOU happy. Also, Hector came to realise what really made HIM happy as well, though he didn't know it when he first started his journey.

I thought Hector was a wonderful friendly character who brought out the best in people (probably due to being a psychiatrist), he made me smile more than once, as well as feel sad when we both realised that the beautiful young Chinese woman wasn't just being 'friendly' to him but was just doing her 'job'..... aaahhhh. It was then I also realised that it wasn't a children's book! Not that it was overly graphic or descriptive, some things were left to the imagination.

If you're looking for a light-hearted and easy read then why not give this a try?




Read my interview with author Francois Lelord here

For a different viewpoint on this book see Kay's review over at writingneuroses
.



This is one of many Gallic Books that have been translated from French and I must thank Lucy at all-leo.com for sending me an uncorrected bound proof copy.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed going your site and reading your latest post.Your writing style is very simple yet very informational.I have subscribed to your posts.Thanks.I am on goodreads also,check out my booklist on my blog at http://gelatisscoop.blogspot.com
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Giovanni, thank you for your comments! Please check my blog updates regularly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...